Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, Steamboat Willy (Willie?)! Yep, Mickey Mouse is 80 today! 1928, wow. A lot of cool things happened that year, especially in radio and movies.

Today is also the anniversary of the touch tone phone. Much quicker dialing than rotary. Remember? Even when I say my old phone numbers, I 'hear' the dial being longer for the bigger numbers. No 'beep, beep, beep'. Weird, huh?

Well, I actually have nothing profound to say about Mickey. I suppose if I allowed myself to think about it I would, but it's just been one of those days. So...

Here's to Mickey, whose name became synonymous with insignificance. Odd, really, since his birthday and the place his fame paid for (DisneyLand, etc) are a significant part of our culture, don't you think? Or maybe it all really is just a lot of Mickey Mouse. Hmm...

Put on your ears and sing with me, "M-I-C K-E-Y (Why? Because we like you) M-O-U-S-E!
(See ya real soon!)"

Harvester Zoe

No comments: